What is an indicative sign of a rodent infestation?
Rodents are a common pest not only in homes but also in business premises. Unfortunately, they don’t know that your property isn’t a suitable place to make their nest, they see a cosy spot usually accompanied by a close food source.
They can cause serious damage to property, spread diseases, and contaminate food, leaving behind droppings and urine. In the UK there are three common rodents that are considered pests, these include the Brown Rat, Black Rat, and House Mouse. They can breed very rapidly, so detecting a rodent infestation early and implementing rodent control measures is crucial to prevent damage and maintain a healthy environment in your home or business.
These are some of the most common signs you should watch out for:
- Droppings: One of the most obvious signs of a rodent infestation is the presence of droppings. Rodent droppings are small, dark, and pellet-shaped, and they can be found in areas where rodents are active, such as near food sources, in cupboards or drawers, and along skirting boards or walls. Fresh droppings are usually moist and shiny, while older droppings are dry and crumbly.
- Gnaw marks: Rodents have sharp teeth that they use to gnaw on objects to keep them sharp and prevent them from overgrowing. Rats and mice will also chew materials in order to make nests for themselves. Rodents will gnaw on anything, including wires, insulation, and wood. Finding these marks around your property are a sure sign of a rodent infestation.
- Tracks: Rodents leave footprints, tail marks and tiny hairs in areas where they are active. If you notice tracks in dusty or muddy areas, it is likely that rodents are present. To help you identify tracks you may need to use a torch or magnifying glass as they can be small and difficult to see.
- Unusual pet behaviour: If you have pets, they may be able to detect mice and rats before you do. You might notice your dogs and cats getting agitated, sniffing around the house, and pawing at walls and furniture. If your pet is displaying this unusual behaviour, it may be a sign of rodents in your home.
- Grease marks: Rodents have oily fur that leaves greasy smudges on surfaces they frequently travel across. These marks can be seen along skirting boards, walls, and around entry points.
- Strange sounds: Rodents are nocturnal creatures, and they are often active at night. You may hear scratching, scurrying, or squeaking sounds coming from walls, ceilings, or floors.
- Nests: Rodents need a place to live and will create nests out of soft materials like paper, fabric, or insulation. If you find nests in your home, it is a sure sign that rodents are present.
If you suspect a rodent infestation in your home or business, it is important to act immediately. Rodents can cause serious damage to your property and spread disease. Look for the signs mentioned above to detect a rodent infestation early, our local teams of skilled operatives can quickly respond to your situation and create individually tailored, no-nonsense treatment and rodent control.
Advice, quotes, and bookings
Residential enquiries - please call 0333 567 0550 or book online.
Commercial enquiries - please call 0333 567 2020 or contact us..