Company Skanska / Highways England
Highways England and Skanska carried out major ground stabilisation works on the A36. The £2.3m project focused on a 5km section of the route between Brassknocker Hill and Hantone Hill and aimed to stabilise ground affected by fault movement and landslide activity below the route. The works were intended to prevent major slope failures and ensure the safety of motorists.
Blackdown Environmental were responsible for undertaking the temporary exclusion of a main badger sett, to facilitate time-critical piling works on the A36. Despite the tight programme, they were able to undertake these works ahead of schedule, helping prevent costly delays for our client.
Our team at Blackdown Environmental carried out the following works;
- Initial ecological surveys to establish a baseline of survey data;
- Undertook badger activity surveys on an Annexe badger sett impacted by the works;
- Application for an EPSL from Natural England for the closure of the Annexe badger sett;
- Cleared over X m2 of vegetation to facilitate the works;
- Supplied and installed 4 x metal one-way badger gates.
- Supplied and installed over 500m2 of galvanised chain link mesh.
- Carried out the 21 day monitoring of the badger sett following the installation of the exclusion measures.