Blackdown Environmental helped to facilitate the proposed Western Corridor upgrade works in Yeovil. The A3088 a critical distributor road in Yeovil’s highway network, providing access to key employment sites and residential areas. Somerset County Council are promoting the Yeovil Western Corridor as a major local transport scheme, due in part to their local plan and significant residential and commercial developments.
“Despite the short lead time, Blackdown Environmental mobilised within 3 days from receipt of order, and completed all of the vegetation clearance works ahead of programme. Their novel working method ensured that the A3088 remained open throughout the works, preventing disturbance to motorists and costly traffic management measures. I won’t hesitate to use them again” Skanska
Due to the tight timescales, it was vital that all tree clearance works were completed on time. Blackdown undertook the following measures to complete the project;
- Climbing inspection of trees with potential bat roost trees.
- Mechanically cleared over 2500m2 of dense scrub vegetation.
- Mechanically cleared over 400m of hedgerows and associated trees using tree shears and mulchers.
- Felled over 134 mature trees, including the sectional felling and processing of a large mature turkey oak.
- Installed 110m of stock fencing.
Thankfully Blackdown Environmental were able to complete the programme ahead of schedule.