Great crested newts are protected and often require consideration during development. Blackdown Environmental are experienced in undertaking assessments of great crested newts.
Great crested newts are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations (2010). Assessments of great crested newts are frequently required as part of planning applications, often with regard to understanding their use of both aquatic and terrestrial habitat within a site.
Ecological Consultancy Services
Blackdown Environmental have Ecologists licensed and trained to survey for great crested newts and are highly experienced in undertaking assessments of the species for a wide variety of projects from routine vegetation and aquatic management to large scale housing developments. Whatever your project type you can be assured that you will receive a high quality of service.
Our great crested newt services include (but are not limited to):
- Habitat suitability assessments
- Including following Habitat Suitability Index (HSI) methodologies for assessing potential aquatic habitats
Presence/ likely absence surveys:
- Torch surveys
- Egg searches
- Bottle trapping
- Great Crested Newt eDNA
Relative population class size assessments
European Protected Species licence Method Statements and advice:
- Blackdown Environmental have extensive experience in delivering Method Statements for application to Natural England regarding European Protected Species including for great crested newts
- Ecologists able to provide professional and pragmatic advice on suitable mitigation strategies and habitat enhancement opportunities tailored to your specific project
Environmental Contracting Services
Blackdown Environmental’s contracting team can assist with implementing a variety of mitigation solutions devised for great crested newts including habitat creation and management.
Blackdown Environmental are able to assist with the following:
- Installation of temporary or permanent amphibian barrier fencing
- Aquatic habitat creation and management
- Hedgerow planting and management
- Pond / Lake construction
Call us on 0333 567 2020 to find out more.