All wild bird species and their nests are protected. Blackdown Environmental are experienced in undertaking a variety of services with regards bird species including breeding bird surveys and checks for nesting birds prior to construction works.
All wild birds and their nests are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). Certain species are also listed on Schedule 1 of the act and receive further protection. Assessments of bird species are frequently required as part of planning applications, whether it is with regard to assessing their presence on a site or assessing impacts of development to specific species.
Ecological Consultancy Services
Blackdown Environmental have Ecologists trained to survey for bird species and also licensed to survey for barn owl (a Schedule 1 species). Our Ecologists are highly experienced in undertaking assessments of birds for a wide variety of projects from conversions of farm buildings to large scale housing development projects and routine vegetation management along highway and railway networks. Whatever your project type you can be assured that you will receive a high quality of service.
Our bird survey services include (but are not limited to):
Detailed assessments of buildings and structures:
- Internal inspections, including large, complex structures
- Our Ecologists are licensed to survey for evidence of barn owl within buildings
- Confined Spaces trained Ecologists capable of surveying constrained sites such as culverts and tunnels
- Ecologists trained in tree climbing to undertake challenging aerial assessments at height
Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are trained and qualified to work along major highway and railway networks
Assessments of breeding bird activity across an area:
- Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are experienced in undertaking breeding bird surveys across a variety of sites including surveys for cirl buntings
- Checks for nesting birds prior to construction/ vegetation works during the main bird nesting period (1st March to end of September)
- Blackdown Environmental have extensive experience in providing advice, producing method statements and delivering ‘toolbox talks’ to site operatives to avoid harm and disturbance to nesting birds
- Ecologists able to provide professional and pragmatic advice on suitable enhancement options for birds tailored to your specific projects such as installing nest boxes or appropriate habitat creation / management
Environmental Contracting Services
Blackdown Environmental’s contracting team can assist with implementing a variety of mitigation solutions devised for bird species including habitat creation and management.
Blackdown Environmental are able to assist with the following:
- Installation of bird boxes to trees and buildings, including provision for barn owl.
- Habitat creation and management
- Undertaking vegetation clearance following detailed ecological method statements governed by our Ecologists
- Specialist bird netting buildings / hedges
- Provision of plant such as MEWPs for challenging aerial assessments at height
Call us on 0333 567 2020 to find out more.