Dormice are rare across the UK, however in certain areas of the country, dormice are relatively widespread and common within suitable habitat.
Dormice are protected and inhabit areas of woodland, scrub and hedgerow networks. Our Sister company, Blackdown Environmental are experienced in undertaking assessments of Dormice.
Dormice are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations (2010). Assessments of Dormice are frequently required as part of planning applications, particularly where hedgerow, scrub and woodland habitats are to be impacted.
How to identify dormice:
Dormice are mainly nocturnal and do hibernate during the winter, so they are rarely seen. If you do manage to spot one they are small (head and body can grow to a length of 5 – 9cm, tail length can be around 5 – 8cm), with gingery-brown fur, a fluffy tail, long whiskers and large black eyes.
Signs of Dormice:
Dormice like hazelnuts, they eat them while they are still green so they are soft enough for them to gnaw a hole in. Once they have reached the inside of the hazelnut, they will drop the shell covered in small angled tooth marks onto the floor.
Dormice hibernate during the winter – usually under logs, leaves and at the base of trees or somewhere where the temperature is more consistent like just beneath the ground. During the summer, dormice usually build nests of honeysuckle bark, grass and hazel leaves – this is where females will give birth to their young.
Ecological Consultancy Services
Our team at Blackdown Environmental have Ecologists licensed to survey for dormice and are highly experienced in undertaking assessments for a wide variety of projects from routine vegetation management to large scale housing developments and complex transport engineering schemes. Whatever your project type you can be assured that you will receive a high quality of service.
Our Dormouse services include (but are not limited to):
- Habitat suitability assessments
- Nest tube surveys / nut searches to determine presence/ likely absence
- Provision and installation of dormouse nest boxes as part of mitigation / enhancement strategies
Blackdown Environmental Ecologists are trained and qualified to work along major highway and railway networks.
European Protected Species licence Method Statements and advice:
- Blackdown Environmental have experience in delivering Method Statements for application to Natural England regarding European Protected Species including dormice
- Ecologists able to provide professional and pragmatic advice on suitable mitigation strategies and enhancement opportunities tailored to your specific project
Environmental Contracting Services
Blackdown Environmental’s contracting team can assist with implementing a variety of mitigation solutions devised for Dormice including habitat creation and management.
Blackdown Environmental are able to assist with the following:
- Hedgerow and woodland planting and management
- Sensitive methods of vegetation clearance governed by our licensed Ecologists